.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Tuesday, July 13, 2004
  Some Girls



Let's think about this song by Rachel Stevens.
1. It's really good.
2. I've only heard it twice and I'm almost not sure I want to hear it again - the chorus has already expanded to fill my head like a gum balloon and I'm worried if it gets any bigger the whole thing will be spoilt.
3. (I was reminded of this feeling when I watched Morrissey performing 'There Is A Light That Will Never Go Out' at Glastonbury. The first time I heard that song I remember thinking, I don't want to listen to this very much, it will become less special. I remember comparing the song in my head to a silver spoon [wtf was I thinking, I don't know] that you keep in a drawer and only get out for special occasions. Anyway I think 'Some Girls' might be like this too.)
4. Having said that, this isn't something you can really control, and I already find myself hoping, every time a song on the radio ends, that the next song will be 'Some Girls,' even if the previous song was 'Some Girls.'
5. It makes you think what a rubbish criticism 'sugary' is for pop - I mean everyone loves sugar!! And this song makes me go all Bart'n'Milhous on that super-strength Slush Puppy syrup. My EYES are POPping out of my head.
6. Eye-popping is a good image for this song I think. It sounds like its eyes are rolled back in its head and its tongue is lolling out, which is a great look for pop.
7. For some reason it reminds me of 'Step Into My Office, Baby' off the last Belle & Sebastian album (geez, always with the indie comparisons!!), it has that same clod-hopping glam beat and there is something simultaneously cocky and gawky about both songs.
8. This goofiness is a big part of the charm of 'Some Girls,' this everyday smalltown highstreet attitude. Rachel's voice sounds so good - so English! I wish the video featured her working in a shop or an office (you know, a facility girl) but I'm sure it doesn't, it probably features her dancing around a black and neon room.
9. The high street. Girls in bedrooms. Girls hanging around outside the shopping centre on Saturday afternoon. Girls reading Smash Hits and watching Top Of The Pops. This is the tribe I think 'Some Girls' is thinking of in its sound and voice and attitude.
10. For some reason I feel it's a tribe that was more clearly defined in the past than it is now. Wouldn't this song sound a bit, well, naff, to girls like these? I am projecting.
11. The goofiness, the (I guess very artful) artlessness of the sound effects and the (I guess very affected) unaffected vocals are what made me stop short the first time I heard it - this sort of thing just doesn't get made these days, does it?
12. The melody seems to recall/predict some 80s kids TV theme (for a Saturday afternoon show, perhaps.) Richard X's vision of the future is nostalgic for a different vision of the future that never happened. Future nostalgia - this is a k-punk idea isn't it?
13. I've read a bit about this song on various blogs and in some places there's been some really unkind sniping about Rachel Stevens. Jesus she's just singing! Give her a break.
14. (Very incidentally, the fact that I think Rachel's voice is so good on this song makes me think about S Club 7. There's a huge gulf isn't there, between the cheery, rosy-cheeked, thumbs-up singles like 'Bring It All Back To You' and 'Reach' and the cool, sophisticated, grown-up (inverted commas ommitted for purposes of not sounding like a twat) singles like 'S Club Party' and 'Don't Stop Movin.' At the time I think I preferred the latter but in the light of 'Some Girls' I think I'll reassess that judgement.)
15. Right. Some Girls. So it's wide-eyed and lop-sided and goofy and naff and it's very Saturday afternoon pop. It's easily my favourite song of 2004. 
Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home